School District 10 (Arrow Lakes) School District 10 (Arrow Lakes) is seeking a temporary certified journeyperson mechanic available to work on a temporary or relief basis. Under the supervision of the Manager of Operations and Transportation the Mechanic provides journeyperson mechanic level skills and assists other trades as required.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Perform mechanical/electrical/electronic diagnosis and repairs on District buses, District fleet vehicles, and other equipment.
- Perform regular preventive maintenance and inspections on all District vehicles in accordance with applicable statutes, regulations, and codes.
- Perform maintenance and welding repairs on District vehicles and other equipment as needed.
- Prioritize and plan work, select appropriate techniques, equipment, and materials to achieve work objectives.
- Establish and maintain records, forms and documents for all district vehicles and equipment.
- Report on parts and supplies inventory levels. Orders supplies and equipment.
- Communicate positively and effectively and interact as a collaborative and consultative team member.
- Keeps a clean, safe and well-maintained workplace.
- Drive school bus with students in emergent situations.
- Snow Removal as required at School District facilities.
- Understand and act in accordance with school and district policies and procedures, WorkSafe BC Regulations, Motor Vehicle Act, and National Safety Code.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Manager of Operations and Transportation.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Valid B.C. Trade Certification as Commercial Transport Mechanic OR Heavy Duty Mechanic OR Automotive Mechanic.
- Valid ICBC Certification as BC Commercial Vehicle Authorized Inspector.
- Valid B.C. Class 1 or 2 Drivers License with Air Brakes Certification.
- Minimum of 2 years work experience in Mechanic field in addition to experience completed at the apprenticeship level.
- Minimum of 4 months passenger driving experience.
- Grade 12 Education or Equivalent.
- First Aid qualification.
- Annual bus driver medical examination.
Temporary hours can range from 8 hrs/day up to 40 hrs/week. The wage rate for this position as of July 1, 2023 is $38.78/hour as per the Collective Agreement between the Board of School Trustees for School District 10 (Arrow Lakes) and the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 2450. All interested candidates must apply with a cover letter, resume and proof of qualifications.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Please note that successful applicants will be subject to a Criminal Record Check.