CASUAL EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANT
As a collaborative team member, the Casual Educational Assistants are responsible for the care of and facilitation of the education of students with special needs and exceptionalities in an educational setting. Casual Educational Assistants are called in on a casual basis to replace an absent permanent employee.
Duties will include, but are not limited to the following:
Assist in the delivery of a daily program for students with special needs in both individual and group settings. This includes:
- Assist students in the transition from home to school (e.g. bus duty supervision);
- Facilitate the communication and interactions between students and the teacher;
- Assist the teacher/Special Education Resource Teacher (SERT) in the delivery of lessons or programs for students by developing teaching materials/resources under the direction of the teacher/SERT;
- Assist the Teacher/SERT in implementing the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) for students;
- Assist the teacher in observing and tracking students' behaviour, academic performance, motor and social development, including maintaining tracking checklists, etc.;
- Assist the teacher in the behaviour management of students including conflict management, crisis intervention and de-escalation of student behaviour;
- Assist students with feeding, as required;
- Assist students with toileting and changing of clothes, as required;
- Support routines and rules in the classroom;
- To help plan and implement field trips;
- Participate in general school duties, including assisting the teacher in student supervision;
- Provide support to the classroom teacher/SERT as may be required and/or as directed by school administration; and
- Other related duties as assigned by school administration.
Candidates must possess:
- Successful completion of a post-secondary educational assistant program, or equivalent, plus a minimum of one year experience working with children;
- Relevant additional training and/or related qualifications is an asset;
- Ability to perform required physical tasks, including toileting and lifting of students;
- A positive, compassionate and empathetic attitude towards students;
- Ability to maintain discretion with confidential information;
- Ability to function independently within the framework of a team; and
- Basic knowledge in the use of computer software.
Applications must include:
- Cover Letter;
- Resume; and
- Proof of successful completion of a post-secondary Educational Assistant program.
Preference is given to individuals in the Casual Educational Assistant pool for all permanent Educational Assistant positions.
If you require accommodation for reasons of disability in the application or interview process, please contact the Human Resources Department at 519.756.6505.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.