Position: French Teacher Hiring (Elementary & Secondary)
Work Location: Various locations (YRDSB Schools-at-a-Glance)
Application Deadline: October 2020
By completing our French Teacher Hiring (Elementary & Secondary) online application, you are taking the first step towards joining an educational community that is committed to ensuring everyone has the opportunity to experience success. Note: This application is for all French Teaching opportunities at YRDSB, inclusive of both Elementary and Secondary positions.
All applications will be screened based on the required education, experience and qualifications as noted in the posting description. Only those candidates meeting these criteria will be eligible to participate in the selection process and only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Important Note: If you are currently in the process of becoming Ontario College of Teachers (OCT) qualified (i.e. New Graduate, Internationally Trained Educator, etc.) we welcome you to apply to this posting prior to qualifications being confirmed on the OCT website.
At the York Region District School Board, we can offer you a challenging and rewarding career in public education. We support our teachers in their commitment to ensuring student success. We recognize the key difference that teachers make in the lives of our learners. We are looking for strong, capable teachers who have the desire "to advance student achievement and well-being through public education, which motivates learners, fosters inclusion, inspires innovation and builds community". The skills, talents and dedication that you bring will make our system stronger in its ability to meet the learning needs of students today and well into the future.
Candidates are encouraged to review the Teach en français page on our Board
website for additional information regarding our Hiring Process, Resources, and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
The following is an overview of what to expect once you have applied:
French Language Assessment (FLA):
- This is the first stage of the selection process for all teachers interested in teaching French as a Second Language (FSL) with the York Region District School Board;
- This assessment is used to assess the four language skills: listening, speaking, reading, and writing and is completed by YRDSB French Language Assessor(s); and
- Candidates must complete or currently have a successful French Language Assessment and be deemed to have language skills appropriate for our French program.
Interview & English Written Practicum:
- If successful through the French Language Assessment, this is the second stage of the selection process for all teachers interested in teaching French as a Second Language (FSL) with the York Region District School Board.
Region District School Board is an English speaking board, and the
teaching role will require fluency in both French and English (oral and
- This application enables you to be considered for Elementary & Secondary French - Occasional (OT), Long Term Occasional (LTO), and Permanent Contract Teacher opportunities. All hiring for these positions will be in compliance with Regulation 274 - Hiring Practices;
- French Teacher Hiring will be ongoing and some positions may be available immediately and/or throughout the 2019/2020 school year, while other positions may begin in September 2020;
- Candidates must be members in good standing or in the process of becoming Ontario College of Teachers (OCT) qualified with the Ontario College of Teachers (OCT) prior to the start date, and be enrolled or have completed their French as a Second Language (FSL), or equivalent, based on Ontario College of Teachers qualifications;
- French teachers hired externally with our Board into Long Term Occasional positions for the 2019/2020 school year that are not on the Occasional Teacher (OT) Roster or Long Term Occasional (LTO) List are encouraged to apply to this posting to be considered for contract vacancies for the 2020/2021 school year;
- Experienced teachers may provide two (2) teaching evaluations including your most recent evaluation(s);
- Faculty Students, recent grad etc. in the Consecutive program may provide all summative practice teaching reports, and those in the Concurrent program may provide summative reports from your last year in the program. You may include formative assessments and other summative evaluations, if applicable; and
- In the application process, you will be prompted to provide at least three (3) professional, supervisory teaching references (including full name, position title, work location/organization, and email address) in the job posting screening section of the online application. We do not contact references prior to practicum/interview.
Examples of referees could include the following:
- Principal/Vice-Principal that has supervised you and can speak to your teaching practice in the panel to which you are applying;
- Faculty Advisor/Coordinator or Practicum Advisor that has observed and evaluated your teaching practice in a classroom setting;
- Host/Mentor Teacher that has supervised you and can speak to your teaching practice in an elementary/secondary setting; and/or
- Professional reference who can speak to your teaching practice.
YRDSB Employees (OT/LTO):
- Interested teachers on the York Region District School Board Elementary Occasional Teacher (OT) Roster and/or Elementary Long Term Occasional (LTO) List are required to complete this application to be considered for permanent contract French teacher opportunities;
- French Immersion Pool Hiring (2020/2021) - applicants will be required to submit their application by May 11, 2020 in order to be considered for the pool hiring process. Applications submitted and processed after the above-mentioned date may be considered for French Immersion Contract positions as they arise;
purpose of this application is to determine eligibility for French Contract
vacancies that are effective September 2020. To be considered for vacancies that are filled through the centralized pool hiring process, you must apply by the deadline above.
- Applicants that have had or are currently in a 4-month or longer Long Term Occasional position, will be required to provide a copy of their most recent Teacher Performance Appraisal; and
- If you are permanent/contract teacher and are interested in teaching French, please refer to the Regional Staffing Timelines on the internal portal/BWW.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Statement
The York Region District School Board (YRDSB)
believes in giving each and every applicant an equal opportunity to succeed on
their own merit and we strive to hire staff that reflect and support the diverse
perspectives, experiences and needs of our students and our
communities. We remain committed to upholding the values of equity,
diversity, and inclusion in our living, learning and work environments.
We know that diversity underpins excellence, and that we all share
responsibility for creating an equitable, diverse and inclusive
Board-community. Therefore, in pursuit of our values, we seek members who
will work respectfully and constructively with differences and across the
organizational hierarchy in actualizing the Board’s priorities, goals and
principles outlined in the Director’s
We actively encourage applications from members
of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including, but not
- First Nations, Métis and Inuit
peoples, and all other Indigenous peoples;
- members of groups that commonly
experience discrimination due to race, ancestry, colour, religion and/or
spiritual beliefs, or place of origin;
- persons with visible and/or
invisible (physical and/or mental) disabilities;
- persons who identify as women;
- persons of marginalized sexual
orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions.
At YRDSB, we recognize that many of these
identities intersect and therefore, equity, diversity and inclusion can be
complex. We value and respect the contributions that each person brings
to enriching the Board and are committed to ensuring full and equal
participation for all in communities that we serve.
Accessibility and Accommodation Statement
We also recognize our duty to accommodate and
foster a culture of inclusion. Consistent with the principles
of dignity, individualization and inclusion,
we will make any appropriate accommodation based on any of the protected
grounds in the Human Rights Code to support candidate participation in
the hiring process. When contacted, candidates will be provided with an
overview of the various elements of the hiring process, such as skills
assessments, written practicum, presentation, interview, etc. We will
provide accommodations during the hiring process. If an accommodation is
required, please inform the Recruitment and Retention Team in advance of any
part of the process. All information received relating to a candidate’s
required accommodation will be addressed confidentially by the Recruitment and
As a condition of employment, successful candidates will be required to submit a current original Police Vulnerable Sector Check from the police jurisdiction in which they reside prior to commencing employment with the Board. Police Vulnerable Sector Check documents are only valid if issued within the last six months. Candidates are not advised to obtain this document prior to an offer of employment. Information pertaining to Selection Process and Conditions of Employment can be found on our website.
On-line applications are collected centrally at the Education Centre - Aurora and are monitored by Human Resource Services. Only candidates selected to participate in our selection process will be contacted. All other applicants are thanked for their interest.