Casual Personal Care Assistant
Start Date: ASAP
Pay Band: Six (6) $21.05/hour
The Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board (KPR) offers dynamic, high quality educational programs for nearly 33,000 elementary, secondary and adult students in the 100 schools within our jurisdiction. As part of our strategy to provide on-going support for our schools, the Board is now accepting resumes from qualified applicants for the positions of Casual Personal Care Assistants.
Reporting to the Principals and Vice-Principals, the Personal Care Assistant enhances support and provides care to students with health-related, physical, mobility, and toileting needs. In addition, the Personal Care Assistant will support students with alternative expectations and occupational, physical and communication goals. The Personal Care Assistant will assist with the understanding and management of challenging behaviour associated with cognitive impairment.
Casual work can lead to long-term placements and eventual permanent positions. We are a large Board with an emphasis on special education. Therefore, we seek candidates who are available and wanting to work regularly. You must be available to work for a minimum of 3 days per week.
Work will be available in four geographical regions. Due to the large size of our Board, successful candidates are not expected to work in all geographical areas. Please note in your application the geographic area(s) in which you are applying to work.
- Western - Bowmanville/Courtice area
- Southern - Port Hope/Cobourg area
- Eastern - Brighton/Campbellford area
- Northern - Peterborough area
- Successful completion of Grade 12 education or equivalent
- Personal Support Worker Certificate
- Current Non Violent Crisis Intervention (NCVI) Certification – Full Program
- Up to six (6) months related experience
Applications must include:
- Cover letter addressed to Kourtney MacKenzie, HR Officer, Recruitment
- Current NVCI certification (full program, minimum 8-12 hours).
There are many agencies offering this training, one of which is Fleming College, go to: https://flemingcollege.ca/continuing-education/courses/non-violent-crisis-intervention-cpi .If you are registered to take NVCI, please attach a copy of your registration. Please do not wait until hired to register for this training as it could considerably delay your interview and start date.
- Applicants who have included the above requested documentation in their application will be interviewed ahead of applicants without, if all else is equal.
References: full contact information for two references, one of whom must be your current supervisor will be requested at time of interview.
Successful applicants will be required to undergo a Functional Assessment to determine their ability to perform the physical aspects of the job.
A police records check with vulnerable sector search and/or a search of the Pardoned Sexual Offenders' Database, valid within six months from date of hire is a condition of employment with the Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board. Letters for police stations are available at our Education Centre reception at 1994 Fisher Drive in Peterborough should you wish to begin the process now.
Salary and Benefits: For salary and benefits information, refer to the CUPE 5555 Collective Agreement available at www.kprschools.ca. The positions are PCA - Band 6 is step 1.
The Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board fully supports candidates with disabilities participating in our recruitment and selection procedures. Should you require accommodations during all or any part of these processes, please advise us in advance so that we may make the necessary arrangements.
The Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In KPRDSB this means:
- Inviting all qualified applicants to apply for all external postings.
- Identifying and removing barriers in employment policies and practices to encourage full productivity in all aspects of employment.
- Preventing and prohibiting discrimination and harassment.
- Providing employment accommodation.
- Valuing the importance of diversity, fairness and equitable employment practices.
- Adhering to the Human Rights Code.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working with the Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please check your e-mail regularly as we will use e-mail for all correspondence.