The Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board is currently accepting applications from Educational Assistants (EAs) and Child and Youth Workers (CYWs) for casual/supply work to begin immediately.
We recruit separately for casual ECEs so please do not apply to this posting if you are seeking an ECE position.
Casual work can lead to long-term placements and eventual permanent positions. We are a large Board with an emphasis on special education. Therefore, we seek candidates who are available and wanting to work regularly. You must be available to work for a minimum of 3 days per week.
Work will be available in four geographical regions. Due to the large size of our Board, successful candidates are not expected to work in all geographical areas. Please note in your application the geographic area(s) in which you are applying to work.
- Western - Bowmanville/Courtice area
- Southern - Port Hope/Cobourg area
- Eastern - Brighton/Campbellford area
- Northern - Peterborough area
- Current certification in Non-Violent Crisis Intervention (NVCI), full course. UMAB and other training are NOT accepted.
- Capable of working in a school environment in roles that may involve exposure to bodily wastes and fluids and/or infectious diseases as well as dealing with behavioural issues such as inappropriate language, verbal and physical misconduct.
- Able to deal with various behavioural issues
- Capable of moderate amounts of lifting, bending, kneeling and/or positioning disabled students
- Basic computer skills
Education and experience for EA positions:
- Secondary school diploma or equivalent
- 2 (Two) year college diploma in Educational Assistant Program, SSW or DSW
- 1 (One) year EA program from KLC and Willis Colleges accepted.
- Up to 6 (Six) months of recent, related work experience with children/youth
Education and experience for CYW positions:
- Secondary school diploma or equivalent
- 3 (Three) year college diploma in a Child and Youth Worker Program
- 1 (One) to three years related work experience
*** PLEASE NOTE: We also accept Educational Equivalency paired with work experience. Examples of accepted equivalent education (but not limited to this list) would be: Bachelor of Behaviour Science, Social Work, Child and Youth Care, Correctional Services, etc.
Applications must include:
- Cover letter addressed to Kourtney MacKenzie, HR Officer, Recruitment
- A copy of relevant performance evaluation(s) and/or a copy of relevant placement evaluations,
- Current NVCI certification (full program, minimum 8-12 hours).
There are many agencies offering this training, one of which is Fleming College, go to: https://flemingcollege.ca/continuing-education/courses/non-violent-crisis-intervention-cpi .If you are registered to take NVCI, please attach a copy of your registration. Please do not wait until hired to register for this training as it could considerably delay your interview and start date.
- Applicants who have included the above requested documentation in their application will be interviewed ahead of applicants without, if all else is equal.
References: full contact information for two references, one of whom must be your current supervisor will be requested at time of interview.
Successful applicants will be required to undergo a Functional Assessment to determine their ability to perform the physical aspects of the job.
A police records check with vulnerable sector search and/or a search of the Pardoned Sexual Offenders' Database, valid within six months from date of hire is a condition of employment with the Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board. Letters for police stations are available at our Education Centre reception at 1994 Fisher Drive in Peterborough should you wish to begin the process now.
Salary and Benefits: For salary and benefits information, refer to the CUPE 5555 Collective Agreement available at www.kprschools.ca. The positions are EA - Band 7 and CYW - Band 9, both are step 1.
KPRDSB is committed to a qualified workforce that is representative of the diversity of the people of Ontario and across the communities we serve. We welcome applications from candidates with diverse background and lived experiences as a member of a marginalized group, including but not limited to:
- First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, and all other Indigenous peoples;
- Members of groups that commonly experience discrimination due to race, ancestry, colour, religion and/or spiritual beliefs, or place of origin;
- Persons with visible and/or invisible (physical and/or mental) disabilities;
- Persons who identify as women; and
- Persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions.
KPRDSB is committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working with the Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please check your e-mail regularly as we will use e-mail for all correspondence.